I find that efficiency is an important part of fitness success. Often times, we spend a lot of time doing things that we think will give us the results that we want to no avail. The issue is not what we are doing; it is the efficiency and effectiveness taking into consideration the investment we are willing to make. Here are 10 simple swaps to make your fitness dreams a reality.
- Planks instead of crunches. Planks have been shown to stimulate 200 percent or more ab activity than regular crunches. Give planks a try instead to work that whole core.
- Interval workout instead of relaxed run. Try a 20-minute interval run that involves lots of sprinting with some walking recovery. This will give better results than an hour long steady state relaxed run.
- Warming up instead of rushing right to it. Do an active warm-up to loosen up limbs before starting any workout. This will reduce the chance of injury and help you get the most out of your workout.
- Exercise ball instead office chair. If you have a job that requires you to sit all day, try Swiss ball. It can help with balance and that six-pack.
- Free weights instead of machines. Skip the big machines and go for free weights. They are more versatile and allow for a full range of motion in the joints.
- Pull-ups for bicep curls. Pull-ups are not only impressive but they work way more than one muscle. This is a great exercise to master!
- Squats instead of leg press. If were to choose only one exercise to get the best results, it would be squats. Squat like your life depends on it for overall fat loss and muscle definition.
- Hands-free running instead of holding handles. On the treadmill, don’t rely on the handlebars. It makes the workout less challenging.
- Foam rolling instead of static stretching. Need to get the knots out? Try using a foam roller instead of sitting and stretching to the toes. It is second best to getting a full body deep tissue massage.
- Working out with a friend instead of exercising by yourself. A friend could help motivate you through that final set of push-ups. A buddy system is known to give a higher level of adherence to a health and fitness program.
Do you want to add to the list? What are your favourite fitness swaps for better results?